Megger are proud to support The Big STEM Challenge 2022!
The Big STEM Challenge is an inter-schools, curriculum based competition to engage children and young people in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM). There are three age categories – Primary, Secondary and 16 +.
- Finalists will be invited to showcase their projects at Discovery Park to some of the UK’s biggest industry giants.
- Each category project winner will receive a cash prize of £200.
- All finalists will receive a certificate.
- Experience and other prizes may be awarded at the discretion of the judges and sponsors.
Individuals, groups or whole classes are encouraged to enter a STEM based project of their choice. Below are a few curriculum based project ideas for each age category. All projects MUST have a clear and identified goal and outcome.
- Design a natural pest deterrent which could be used to protect crops from a particular pest. E.g. slugs, birds, blackfly.
- Research & make an effective packaging material which could be used as an alternative to plastic.
- Design and create a mode of transport that uses air/water resistance or levers/pulleys and gears.
- Design a physical or virtual solution based on an animal ecosystem which solves a problem in the human world. E.g. Bee hives = modular storage device.
- Design your own renewable energy device. Describe the source and how it would harness/conserve and distribute energy.
- Develop your own skincare product with a specific aim & benefit (e.g. to soothe eczema, reduce scarring, anti aging, anti bacterial etc.)
- Design and develop an invention, device, mechanism or piece of code that solves a problem or improves an individual’s/communities or environmental situation or challenge.
Finalists will be invited to Discovery Park, the UK’s leading science and technology park. Primary finalists will display their projects at a science fair and one will become the Primary BIG STEM Champion 2022. Secondary and 16+ finalists will present their projects to a “Dragon’s Den” panel of experts including our very own Paul Swinerd, GET Product Manager for the chance to be named Secondary and 16+ BIG STEM Challenge winners 2022!